Thursday, June 25, 2009

From the Beginning

Well, well, well... Where to begin?
When I first enrolled in this class, I was very excited about the idea and experience to study abroad. I have always wanted to, but because I have always worked full time, I couldn't take that much leave from work, without quitting my job.

I love to travel, but I haven't been able to that often. I went to Europe in 2005 and Thailand in 2007 both for one month each. I loved both experiences, they were very different, but wonderful. I suppose being in Asia in Thailand, I may have had some preconceived notions about Japan(most of these turned out to be very wrong).

In my past travels, I have always done so solo. So, I knew this would be a different experience to be with a group. I didn't know how I felt about that, but I liked the idea of learning while I travel and having my summer course be in Japan, rather than some classroom in St. Louis. Plus, according to the tentative schedule we adjourn around 4 or 5 most days, so that would still allow some time for exploring the different cities on my own.

To begin preparing for the class and traveling, I bought Let's Go Japan, a travel guide similar to Lonely Planet, but because I have had good luck with this series and I knew we were getting Lonely Planet as part of the course, I opted for this book. I started to read and study the book and tried to prepare myself for the adventure and brace myself on what to expect.

For awhile after signing up for the course, I wasn't sure if I would be able to go. Both of my grandparents became very ill between January and March and I didn't want to be away if I was needed. So, I put off planning the last of the details until I knew my grandparents were stabilized and doing OK. I was a bit worried that because I waited to buy my plane ticket and book my accommodations that I may have trouble with availability or high prices, but everything went smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment